Skip to content

East Anglia (Greater Anglia)

East Anglia

What is happening now?

In August 2016 the Department for Transport (DfT) awarded the East Anglia contract to Abellio. The new franchise, known as “Greater Anglia”, started in October and will run for nine years. In March 2017 Abellio sold a 40 per cent stake in the franchise to Japanese company Mitsui, although with the remaining 60 per cent it retains a controlling stake. This will not affect the commitments made as part of the franchise award, and Abellio states that its intention was always to run the franchise as part of a joint venture.

Our role in the franchising process

We carried out research into passengers’ current experiences and aspirations for the future franchise, published in 2015, which we used to help shape discussions with DfT in shaping the new franchise.

We responded to the DfT’s consultation and published that response on our website.

We provided advice to the DfT on the bidders’ delivery plans for the Customer Experience elements of the tenders.

Our ongoing role

Now the new franchise is in operation we continue to use our rail research to ensure that it has passenger priorities at its heart. Key to this are the National Rail Passenger Survey results that are presented and discussed with Greater Anglia, highlighting areas that need improvement. We also hold meetings to discuss performance, both on a regular, proactive basis and to react to any poor performance.

We continue our statutory role in helping passengers with their unresolved rail complaints. Where a passenger has been unable to resolve their complaint directly with Greater Anglia we work with them to achieve a better outcome for the passenger. We use the information from these ‘appeal’ complaints to help Greater Anglia understand the root causes of unresolved complaints and continuously improve the customer service they provide.

To view our National Rail Passenger Survey reports or to access these and our appeal complaints data through our Data Explorer tool, please click on the links below:

   NRPS                                                                         Data explorer

 Transport Focus reports and publications

August 2015

July 2015

March 2015

March 2015

July 2013

Rail passengers’ experiences and expectations of the East Anglia franchise – research report

Transport Focus response to the East Anglia consultation

What passengers want from Customer Reports – summary report

Abellio Greater Anglia Customer Report and research presentation

Passenger Focus submission to the DfT on the Greater Anglia franchise direct award

Click here for key Department for Transport publications

Related content

Latest news

Top motorway services named

Find out more
Latest publication

Motorway Services User Survey – Spring 2017

Find out more
Latest post

Tiredness kills – take a break: what do drivers think of motorway services?

Find out more