Junction numbers survey – Transport User Panel
In most countries 40 to 60 per cent of the total number of accidents occur at junctions. This survey was carried out to test the hypothesis that some unsafe driving on motorways is related to the position of the junction number on the signage.
The survey was intended to establish:
- to what extent junction numbers are used to navigate
- whether road users think that obscured or invisible junction numbers are a cause of poor driver behaviour
- where road users think the junction number should be on signs
- whether road users have experienced obscured/invisible junction numbers and, if they have, what caused the junction number to be obscured
- whether road users say they have driven poorly because of an obscured or invisible junction number.