Events this week in Edinburgh and Glasgow
10 June 2014
Stakeholder reception: Scottish Parliament – Edinburgh, Wednesday 11 June
Scottish Transport Minister, Keith Brown MSP, will give a short address at the reception. We will be releasing some new research Transport integration in Scotland about encouraging passengers to use public transport, especially rail.
Seminar: Getting to Glasgow 2014 and to the Ryder Cup – Glasgow, Thursday 12 June
The seminar will look at public transport planning focussing for the Commonwealth Games1 and the Ryder Cup2.
Anthony Smith, Passenger Focus’s chief executive, said: “Scotland will see a million spectators head to the Commonwealth Games in July and August. It will also see around 250,000 people going to Gleneagles for the Ryder Cup in September. Passengers need to move around the country during these events will put significant pressure on the transport system. Transport will play a role in determining people’s enjoyment of these events and how their success will be judged.
“We are delighted to be hosting this seminar in Glasgow to explore how public transport will cope. We have researched rail passenger issues in Scotland, over many years and have now made a start on bus passenger research. Through that and other work, we have an understanding of what drives passenger satisfaction with travel. We will present recent research on integrating transport in Scotland and also passengers’ priorities for rail. We plan to share this research at the event too.”
Speakers at the seminar include:
- Anthony Smith, chief executive, Passenger Focus
- Hugh Gillies, head of 2014 team, Transport Scotland
- Steve Montgomery, managing director, ScotRail
- Rose McArthur, Glasgow 2014
- Keven Belfield, commercial director, Scotland, First Bus UK
Anyone wishing to attend either event should contact Abiola Olanipekun on 0300 123 0851 or email@example.com.
- The Commonwealth Games ‘Glasgow 2014’ is taking place in Glasgow between 23 July and 4 August https://www.glasgow2014.com/
- The Ryder Cup is taking place at Gleneagles between 23 and 28 September. http://www.rydercup.com/