Passenger Voice October 2015: Better stations awards
30 September 2015
We were delighted to be asked to help judge the East Midlands Trains (EMT) Best Station Awards 2015 this year.
Our passenger team executive, Stuart Edwards was asked to provide an independent passenger view for each category.
The awards, which are now in their sixth year, celebrate the best of the train operator’s 89 stations under the categories such as Best Small Station and Most Improved Station. The awards also include Best Community Partnership, and Outstanding Personal Contribution to recognise the employees who work hard to deliver the best service for customers.
Our role in the awards began several months ago, visiting each of the shortlisted stations (unannounced) to see the work that staff and volunteers do on a daily basis. From observing staff helping passengers at the ticket office, on the platform or just advising them on how to get into town, it was great to see passenger-driven services.
These awards recognised those staff that don’t just put this in to practice on a daily basis, but also go above and beyond, driving innovation and best practice for others to follow.
The winners of the EMT Best Station Awards 2015 were:
- Best Small Station – Kidsgrove
- Best Medium Station – Market Harborough
- Best Large Station – Sheffield
- Community Partnership Award – Alsager
- Station Environment Award – Cromford
- Most Improved Station – Ambergate
- Special Event Team Award – Lincoln Christmas Market Team
- Outstanding Personal Contribution (non-station staff) – Kim Sharman from Interserve Initial
- Outstanding Personal Contribution Award – Sue Drake from Leicester First Class Lounge and Shaun Leonard from Sheffield station.