Transport User Voice – Top motorway services named
25 October 2017
Reading westbound services on the M4 was named England’s top motorway services in our new survey.
Transport Focus launched the survey at Beaconsfield services on the M40 alongside Minister John Hayes MP and representatives from across the industry.
In the survey of all 112 motorway services in England, 8700 customers had their say on facilities such as toilets, staffing and food and drink. Drivers were also asked what impact visiting the motorway services had on their mood on arrival and then leaving the services.
The survey found:
- overall 90 per cent of customers were satisfied with their visit
- 90 per cent of visitors were satisfied with the cleanliness of the toilets
- 64 per cent of visitors thought the food or drink available to eat in the services was value for money
- the friendliness of staff was rated good by 94 per cent of visitors
- professional visitors, such as HGV drivers, were least satisfied at 84 per cent
- visits to motorway services typically resulted in a 20 percentage point increase in positive emotions and a 17 percentage point decrease in negative emotions highlighting the beneficial impact motorway services can have on driving standards and safety for drivers.
Chief executive of Transport Focus Anthony Smith said:
“Our research shows that up and down the country motorway services are providing customers with a good experience and are playing a positive role in helping them rest and recharge before continuing to drive. They tell us they feel less stressed and are more awake after a good break.
“Motorway service operators must not rest on their laurels however; our message is clear – use the results to deliver even higher levels of customer satisfaction in future.
“Ensuring that visitors feel their experience is worth the money paid, that the choice of food is good and the services are welcoming and well-maintained are important areas for motorway service operators to watch.”
Transport Minister John Hayes welcomed the research:
“Motorways services can and should be lovely places for drivers to enjoy not just places they have to stop.
“Congratulations to those scoring the most highly. They show what can be done when what motorists want and deserve drives what is on offer.”
The Motorway Services User Survey can be found here.
Top motorway services in England
- Reading Services Westbound (Moto) – M4
- Rivington Services Northbound (EuroGarages) – M61
- Corley Services Northbound (Welcome Break) – M6
- Gloucester Services Southbound (Westmorland) – M5
- Gloucester Services Northbound (Westmorland)
- Knutsford Services Southbound (Moto) – M6
- Norton Canes Services (Roadchef) – M6 Toll
- Tebay Services Northbound (Westmorland) – M6
- Tebay Services Southbound (Westmorland) – M6
- Cobham Services (Extra) – M25.