National Rail Passenger Survey – NRPS – spring 2020 – main report and other documents
02 July 2020
Transport Focus surveys more than 50,000 passengers a year to produce the National Rail Passenger Survey (NRPS) – a network-wide picture of passengers’ satisfaction with rail travel. Passenger opinions of train services are collected twice a year from a representative sample of journeys. It is the largest published rail passenger satisfaction survey in the world.
Passengers’ overall satisfaction and satisfaction with 30 specific aspects of service can, therefore, be compared over time.
Due to the Coronavirus outbreak NRPS fieldwork for the Spring 2020 wave was suspended in mid-March. As a result, although 19,500 interviews were completed, this was approximately 75 per cent of the overall target. The quality assurance statement (available below) provides a permanent record of:
• shortfalls in sample sizes occurred
• sample cells grouped together for weighting purposes
• the impact on accuracy and robustness of NRPS statistics.
The report will provide a permanent record of processes used and outcomes derived which can set the NRPS Spring 2020 wave in its proper context.
Below you can also download the following documents:
- National Rail Passenger Survey (NRPS) – an introduction. This is an introductory guide to the NRPS.
- NRPS User Guidance Report. This report gives information about the sampling and weighting mechanisms, the types of analysis that can be undertaken and the levels of accuracy.
- NRPS Technical Report. This report provides detailed information on all key aspects of methodology.
- Quality Assurance Process for NRPS. Thus report explains in some detail the quality assurance process for the survey.
- The pre-release access lists for the Spring 2020 survey.