Rail passengers’ experiences and expectations of the East Anglia franchise – August 2015
26 August 2015
Transport Focus (previously known as Passenger Focus) has carried out research to understand passengers’ current experiences with Abellio Greater Anglia (AGA) and their aspirations for the new East Anglia franchise which is due to commence in October 2016. Qualitative research was undertaken comprising twelve focus groups and five 60 minute depth interviews. These were split into:
- ten two-hour focus groups among current users of the AGA network
- two 90-minute focus groups among lapsed and non-users
- five depth interviews among passengers with a range of disabilities.
Data from the National Rail Passenger Survey (NRPS in autumn 2014) indicate that 80 per cent of Abellio Greater Anglia passengers are satisfied with their journey overall and 77 per cent are satisfied with the punctuality and reliability of services. However, the current research set out to identify passengers’ priority areas for improvement in the future. What emerged were key aspects of service delivery and improvements to stations and trains. Three key themes have been identified:
- improving reliability, especially for frequent users who rely most heavily on the franchise
- upgrading the rolling stock – a cause for concern on a number of routes
- enhancing facilities at certain stations to meet passenger expectations.