Christmas travel during Covid-19
08 December 2020
Transport Focus spoke to over 2000 people about their travel intentions over the Christmas period, including in the 23 to 27 December window.
The research found:
- 30 per cent will be travelling over the Christmas/New Year period
- for just over a half of those who know whether or not they are making a journey this is the same as they would travel usually
- 85 per cent will be making this journey by road; 47 per cent using local roads only and 38 per cent using the motorway network
- those using local roads are most likely to make both outgoing and return journeys on Christmas day. Those travelling by train are most likely to travel before the 23 December or after the 27 December
- 28 per cent of those making a car journey using the motorway network disagree that they would be comfortable stopping at a motorway service area.